Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lesson 6 - Never Judge a Book (or person) By Their Cover

Back in grammar school I was unfortunately teased and bullied quite a bit. In 4th grade there was this girl named Julie, who was a bit of a tom boy. In recess one day Julie and a bunch of boys were playing ball. I attempted to join their game, and Julie would have none of it. She threw the ball straight at me; and hit me Right Square in the middle of my face. Usually I would have said nothing, but this really ticked me off, and we both got into a screaming match.

Our teacher heard our fighting and came quickly to break it up. They then sentenced us to one week of detention, and put us on a project together. As well, they asked us to both apologize to each other. I was not happy. It was bad enough I had to stay in detention for a week, but to have to spend it with this person who had treated me so terribly. In my mind this was completely unfair, I hadn't done anything wrong I felt; it was all her fault.

The week past quickly, and we learned a lot about each other. Julie might have been tough (& as I perceived it at the time perhaps mean to me), but her loving parents were quite strict and demanding of her. Her Dad was the minister of their church and both her parents expected a lot of her. We actually learned by the end of that week that we were not all that different.

It turned out that Julie and I became the best of friends through the rest of grammar school. Incidentally, Julie was also the one who later introduce me to God and Jesus. I'll forever be most grateful to Julie for her guiding me to my own relationship with Jesus. I guess the lesson in all this, was we both learned not to judge a book (or person) by their cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment