Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lesson 3- Never Let Money Along Be the Deciding Factor in a Decision

Several years back in my early 20's, I had been working at a wonderful company for several years.  I had essentially become bored at this job, and decided to look for a new and exciting position. Immediately I sent out my resume, and in no time had lined up a bunch of interviews.  Within a month or so of looking a very promising offer was received from a somewhat new advertising agency. Everyone in the company was 30 years of age or younger.  The vibe in this office was fresh, light, exciting and full of positive energy. Oh did I mention there were way more handsome young men, than woman in this office (a definite plus)! The only down side was that they were only offering me about a $2,000.00 annual increase. I was looking to make at least a 5K annual increase. 

Being that all other factors with this offer seemed great (and from what my future boss advised there was definitely potential to grow here); I decided to take the offer.  After accepting this offer I immediately gave two weeks’ notice to my present employment at the time.  Then for the next two weeks it was all I could do to continue myself. I was so delighted at this new position that I could hardly wait for the day to arrive. 

Two weeks passed quickly, and the day had come to start my new job. I was excited and woke up early to prepare. While getting ready, my career agent called, saying a perspective new client (a jewelry company) of hers was interested in meeting me for a position.  I was about to tell her, that I was just fine with the offer I accept two weeks prior, when she advised that this other client, wanted to offer me a lot more money than the Ad agency.  I paused for a moment thinking that it’s not likely that this new client will offer me a position, but what the hay, it can’t hurt to go and hear them out.  So I accepted and my agent booked the job interview for 1pm that day.

Off I went, to my new position at the Ad agency.  All the people at this new company were really nice, accommodating, and helped me set up and start the training process for my new position.  1pm came, and I went off to the job interview with the jewelry company.  To my great surprise, the vice president of the jewelry company offered me a job on the spot, for 9 thousand dollars more than the Ad agency.  Wow, I could not believe it. In one short week, I could be making 11K more annually than the job I had originally left.  Well, with dollar signs swimming in my eyes, I immediately accepted their offer and said I could start the very next day.

Now came the bad news,  I had to tell the Ad agency, that I had made wait for me, for two weeks, that I was just up and leaving them.  They did not take the news well, as can be imagined. I felt awful about leaving them like this, but the idea of making so much more money felt like an opportunity I could not pass up. The next day I started at the jewelry company bright and early.  By lunch time though, I had began to realize that I had made a huge mistake.  The day before, the interview with the vice president of the jewelry company was at another location other than their offices (this should have been a red flag, why had we not met at the office, since it was only a couple blocks from the Ad company that I was coming from).

I found most of the employees grossly disgruntled and very angry. The owner of the company was an absolute tyrant.  From calling the vice president a “Bitch” in the hall way, to calling out several racial slurs to fellow employees, as well as in appropriate sexual comments. I had entered the job from hell.  I then called up the ad agency I had skipped out on and apologized for my behavior. I then called my primary job that I had originally left (because I was bored) and humbly asked for my old position back.  I’m happy to say that they did take me back.  It was then that I realized I would never again; make a decision based solely on money alone.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Christina,there are so many other factors besides money. I read someplace that the reason most people leave their jobs is not the pay, but the people and/or working environment...after being in the workforce for a while ...i can attest to that!!

    ReplyDelete