Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lesson 17: Blessings Show Up When You Least Expect Them

A couple months back I seemed to hit a rough patch. I had just recently started my own businesses, and within the first couple of weeks I had created a website, found some wonderful clients, and wrote my first training course. I was really feeling pretty good about myself and my new business.

Then the 2nd week of November hit and after running my first course for several weeks, I had received numerous positive reviews about how much the information had helped people, and how much they enjoyed the course. At this time I was already working on my second course (in a string of training courses I have planned to write and give in the future), when I received a call from someone who had reviewed my first course.

He started the conversation with some stern criticism, which hit me rather hard, as he not only attacked my writing, but the content itself. I found myself going into defense mode, and started to defend against some of his unjust (I felt) critiques. Upon hearing myself, I stopped short and advised him if he was not happy with what he saw; he did not have to buy this course. This gave him the out he wanted, and he became much nicer after that. We ended the call on a positive note.   Of course I knew he’d never call back but that was okay by me.  By no means do I ever wish to force someone into buying my products or working with me.  I want clients who want to work with me and whom I can help.


For the rest of the week (the call from the unhappy prospect came in on Monday afternoon), I was feeling a little discouraged. Then Friday came, and I could not wait for the weekend to hit to go flying with my friends.

Then some unexpected blessings showed up when I least expected them, I received three client’s from 2pm to 5pm that Friday afternoon. Yay, just when I had started to doubt myself and think “Did I make a mistake starting my own business”?

I realized something after these events though; things are not always going to be easy with my business or my life, however the difficulty will not last forever. Nothing is permanent, and there are always new blessings on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment