Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lesson 12 –Make Yourself Indispensable at Work

In this day and age when jobs are scarce, probably the most important thing you can do to protect your employment is to make yourself indispensable. I learned this lesson long ago. Growing up with two parents that had a very strong work ethic, is most likely what instilled this lesson in me so early.  One of my earliest jobs was working with a small fashion company.

 During the interview, the CFO informed me that the company had just recently entered the computer age, and their account department was now all learning to use computers and a new accounting software program for the first time. He asked if I had any knowledge of computers. Well, I completely lied as I really needed the job. I did get the job a couple days later and for a little more money than I had asked for.  I then made it a point to learn everything I could about computers and in particular the software program that the CFO had mentioned during our interview.

I devoured every manual and book I could find on the subject, and when I started working with this new company, I stayed late each evening, as I studied the workings of my specific department.  Within 6 months of working with this new company I became the expert on their accounting software. Every new hire was sent to me for a couple days of training (including the new computer technician that was also just hired).

The reason I mention all this, is not to simply sing my praises on what a marvelous employee I’m, but to make a point.  Some 6 months after I had started with this new company, they went through a tough patch financially, and were forced to fire more than half their present staff at the time. Some whom had been with the company for more than 20 years and were close to retirement were given a package to retire early. Many others were simply let go. I was quite shocked at first, when I was not one of the personnel fired. I now know why, I had made myself indispensable. I had something this company really needed; a skill set for which at the time I was the only one within the company with this expertise and crucial knowledge.

The lesson being, always make yourself indispensable at work, and keep learning new things, new skills, and new knowledge, no matter what rank you reach in your present employment.



No comments:

Post a Comment